Have you noticed the surge in popularity of electric bikes lately? It’s not hard to see why – these nifty machines, also known as e-bikes, give you the best of both worlds. You get the health benefits of a traditional bike ride but with the added boost of an electric motor. Plus, they’re eco-friendly to boot! With features like pedal assistance, mechanical disc brakes, and rear racks, it’s no wonder why e-bikes have become a favorite of commuters, outdoor enthusiasts, and folks who want to save a few bucks. If you’re on a tight budget but still want to join the e-bike revolution, take heart! The United States has plenty of affordable options that don’t skimp on quality or performance. In this article, we’ll introduce you to the top 5 electric bikes that cater to lower budgets without sacrificing the features that matter most to riders.
The best budget electric bikes you can buy today.
Take a look at the list
We have also mentioned 2 bonus ebikes that are budget-friendly.
Price $1000 approx
Electrical Specs & Features:
- Battery: The bike is equipped with a 48V10.4ah Reention Eel Pro LG Cells battery, which includes a Smart BMS for better battery management and protection.
- Display: The bike features a KD21C Adjustable Speed LCD display that provides information about speed, battery level, and other important data.
- Motor: The bike is powered by a 48V Geared Hub Shengyi Motor, capable of achieving a nominal rating of 500w and a top speed of 28 mph.
- Pedal Assist: The bike offers five levels of pedal assist, allowing the rider to choose the desired level of assistance. It incorporates an Integrated Sensitive Cadence Sensor PAS for smooth and responsive pedal-assist functionality.
- Range: The bike has a range of 20-45 miles on a single charge, depending on factors such as terrain, rider weight, and assist level.
- Throttle: The bike features a left-side thumb throttle for easy and convenient acceleration.
Weight & Dimensions:
- Battery weight: The battery weighs approximately 9lbs, contributing to the overall weight of the bike.
- Total bike weight: The bike has a total weight of 49lbs, including the battery.
- Maximum rider weight: The bike is designed to support riders weighing up to 275lbs.
- Unfolded Dimensions: When unfolded, the bike measures 70 inches in total length, 32 inches in minimum seat height, and 22 inches in handlebar width. These dimensions provide an idea of the bike’s size and proportions.
Components & Accessories:
- Brakes: The bike is equipped with Tektro 160mm Mechanical Disc brakes, which feature an electric cut-off sensor for added safety.
- Fork: The bike’s fork is made of smooth welded 6061 Alloy, providing strength and durability.
- Frame: The bike features a 6061 Alloy frame, known for its lightweight and sturdy construction.
- Gearing: The bike utilizes Shimano Altus 7-speed gearing, allowing for smooth and efficient shifting between gears.
- Shifter: The bike is equipped with a Shimano ASLTX30R 7-speed shifter, providing precise control over gear changes.
- Grips: The bike features ergonomic rubber grips, offering comfortable and secure hand positioning while riding.
- Saddle: The bike is equipped with a Selle Royal Freeway Plush Gel saddle, designed for enhanced comfort during longer rides.
- Handlebar: The handlebar options include Swept-back Ergonomic Cafe Bars for ST model and a 50mm rise and 640mm width handlebar for XR model, providing different riding positions and preferences.
- Kickstand: The bike features an adjustable arm chainstay-mounted kickstand, allowing for stable parking and easy storage.
- Pedals: The bike has plastic platform pedals with orange reflectors, providing grip and visibility while pedaling.
- Tires: The bike is equipped with Kenda Kwick Seven.5 27.5″x2.2″ tires, offering a good balance of traction and efficiency for various terrains.
- Additional: The bike includes water bottle bosses for convenient hydration and a chainstay guard for protection against chain slap and scratches.
Lectric XP Step Thru 2.0
Price: $799 – $999 approx.
- Exceptional Accessibility: Remove barriers with the XP Step-Thru 2.0’s exceptional accessibility for riders of all mobility levels.
- Innovative XP-Entry Frame: Effortlessly step into your journey with its easy-to-use XP-Entry frame design.
- Versatile Riding Options: Conquer the road with variable pedal assist and throttle capabilities.
- Tackle Any Terrain: Fat tires and adjustable front fork suspension for a smooth ride on any terrain.
- Convenient Storage: Foldable design ensures easy storage in compact spaces.
- Exclusive Features: Enjoy exclusive features that enhance your riding experience.
Ancheer Folding 16-inch Electric Bike
Price: $ 509.99 approx.
- Can use throttle to control speed without pedaling
- Throttle turns off automatically after 30 seconds of inactivity
- Need to pedal one cycle to start the bike again
- Removable 36V 8Ah Lithium-Ion battery
- Travel 15-30 miles on one charge
- Battery can be charged on/off the e-bike
- Collapsible frame for easy storage and transport
- Suitable for car trunk, bus, or train transportation
- High-quality material for commuting or off-road adventures
- Suitable for various terrains: rail trails, gravel, city streets, back roads, bike paths
- E-bike allows for longer and faster rides to explore more of the surroundings
Lectric XP 3.0
Price: $999 approx.
- The Lectric XP™ 3.0 is an elevated and powerful adventure eBike.
- It builds upon the award-winning XP™ 2.0 design for the best ride yet.
- Features a quieter motor, increased torque, and better brakes.
- Includes longevity boosters and added suspension.
- Optimized gearing for smoother riding at higher speeds.
- Compatible with new accessory options like the Yepp Seat and Passenger Package.
- Passenger Package can hold riders up to 150lbs.
Aventon Pace 350 Ebike
Price: 1199 – 1299 approx.
- The Aventon Pace 350 stands out as an accessible and affordable ebike.
- Features a comfortable and adjustable ride with a cushy seat, upright frame, and 5 levels of pedal assist.
- Equipped with a powerful 350W rear hub motor and a 417.6Wh battery.
- Capable of reaching speeds up to 20 mph.
- Ideal for commuting and leisurely rides.
- Provides a smooth and predictable experience.
- Enjoy the freedom of riding with the Aventon Pace 350.
Electric Bike Company Model E
Price: $1899 approx.
- Max speed up to 28 mph
- 10 year warranty
- Factory settings: 20 mph throttle and 20 mph PAS (can be re-programmed to 28 mph PAS based on local city regulations)
- Two options: a. 50 Miles (12 Ah) b. 70 Miles (14 Ah)
- EBC approved and certified Lithium-Ion NMC Cells
- Large platform with comfort non-slip rubber
- Sealed bearings and dual reflectors
- Built in factory with efficient tracking, safety, and range
- Double Walled Rims
- Stainless Resistant 13G Spokes
- Brass Nipples
- Sealed Bearings in Hub
- Large super comfortable, high-density foam
- Back bumpers for support and comfort
- Seat Post:
- 30.4mm x 300mm, supports up to 350lbs
- Optional Satori suspension (supports 350lbs)
- Optional EBC suspension (supports 350lbs)
Ride1up Roadster V2
Price: 1095 approx.
- Roadster V2: powerful and versatile electric bike designed for the road
- 500w (peak) 350w (nominal) Geared Hub Shengyi motor for ample power
- 36V 7.0ah Samsung 35e Cells battery for reliable performance
- Ultra-sensitive bottom bracket cadence sensor for efficient pedal assist
- Minimalist SW102 display and King-Meter throttle display for easy control
- Toptrans belt drive and Tektro R315 dual-pivot brakes for a smooth and responsive ride
- Kenda Kwest 700Cx28 tires (gravel version has frame-dependent tire options)
- Custom gel ergonomic road saddle
- Integrated bike bell
How to choose the best budget electric bike
How you should test electric bikes
Set a clear budget to narrow down options:
Determine how much you’re willing to spend on an electric bike. This will help you focus on models within your price range and avoid overspending. However best electric bikes will cost a bit higher. We suggest you to invest in a quality electric bike that has features like integrated lights, rear lights and good electrical components that are sturdy.
Identify your riding needs:
Consider where and how you plan to use the e-bike. Whether it’s for commuting, off-road adventures, or a mix of both, knowing your riding needs will guide you in selecting the appropriate type and features. Choose a pedal assist bike that is suitable for you. If you live in a mountain area, then an electric mountain bike will be more suitable for you. If you live in an urban area then folding electric bike will be more apt for you.
Choose the right pedal assist bike type:
Different e-bike types, such as mountain bikes, road bikes, and folding bikes, cater to specific riding styles. Select the type that aligns with your intended use to ensure optimal performance and comfort.
Consider motor power and battery capacity:
The motor power determines the level of pedal assistance, while a larger battery capacity offers longer ride distances. Look for suitable power and capacity based on your desired riding intensity and range requirements. A cheap electric bike tend to have poor battery life and motor. However an affordable electric bike or a budget electric bike can be found with many reputed brands which do not compromise on quality.
Assess frame and build quality:
The frame material (often aluminum) affects weight, durability, and ride quality. Ensure the frame is sturdy and well-constructed to handle regular use and provide a comfortable riding experience. Lightweight aluminum frame is a popular option. Don’t go for a cheap e bike if the quality is compromised. An ebike comes in various frame style like Step through frame, high step through frame or mid step through frame
Evaluate braking and suspension systems:
Reliable braking, such as mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes, and rear disc brakes system is crucial for safety. Suspension fork systems, like front forks or rear suspension, absorb shocks and enhance comfort, particularly on uneven terrains.
Look for essential features:
Consider additional features like racks, lights, and fenders that can add practicality and convenience to your rides. Prioritize features that align with your specific needs and preferences.
Read reviews and compare options:
Gain insights from reputable sources by reading reviews and comparisons of different electric bike models. Pay attention to feedback on reliability, performance, customer service, and overall value for money.
Test ride if possible:
If feasible, take the opportunity to test ride electric bikes before making a final decision. This hands-on experience will give you a better understanding of the bike’s handling, comfort, and overall suitability for your needs.
So, what are you waiting for? Pick your budget-friendly ebike and get ready to ride.