A man riding a bike next to a woman on a bike.

Belgium’s e-Bicycle Market Flourishes with Impressive Recovery

We have some great news about Belgium’s bicycle market. After facing supply chain constraints last year, the market has made a remarkable recovery. In fact, the total volume of bicycles and e-bikes sold in 2022 reached an impressive 685,871 units, which is a significant 19% increase from the previous year’s sales of 584,913 units. It’s worth noting that e-bikes have been leading the sales growth, which follows a trend observed in several other EU markets. 

E-bikes Surge Ahead in the Market Share Race

Compared to neighboring countries like Germany and the Netherlands, Belgium’s e-bike market share had been growing slowly in recent years. However, in 2022, sales of e-bikes skyrocketed at an unprecedented pace. The number of e-bikes hitting the market surged by a whopping 47%, going from 226,294 units in 2021 to 328,080 units last year, as reported by Traxio, the Belgian industry organization. 

Both E-bikes and Bicycles Witness Sales Boost

It’s worth noting that both e-bikes and regular bicycles experienced an increase in sales. Filip Rylant, the spokesperson for Traxio, explained that the share of e-bikes witnessed a tremendous surge last year. He attributed this growth to the availability of bicycles and e-bikes as corona-related issues faded away. The market saw a significant replenishment of stock, which contributed to the overall boost in sales. While e-bikes stole the spotlight, regular bicycles also reported a respectable 2.6% increase. Traxio also highlights the importance of considering the fact that stock levels were replenished in 2022 when analyzing the figures and market growth. 

In Belgium, major sports chains, online retailers, DIY stores, and supermarkets hold a 36% market share, while the remaining 64% is distributed through independent bicycle dealers (IBDs). The inventory levels at IBDs were considerably higher at the end of 2022 compared to 2021. This had an impact on the total sales figures reported by Traxio, although the organization did not provide specific numbers. 

E-bikes Dominate the Market Share

The market share of e-bikes in Belgium has now risen by over 47%. When looking specifically at e-bikes sold at IBDs, this figure climbs even higher to 53%. Rylant emphasizes the growing significance of IBDs in the retail channel due to the increasing importance of e-bikes. In 2022, these sales channels accounted for a market share of 64%. Alongside the rise of e-bikes, the popularity of hub gears is also on the rise, surpassing bicycles with a derailleur drive system. This aligns with the ongoing trend of increasingly expensive bicycles, according to Rylant. Let’s take a closer look at the different product categories. E-bikes with a hub gear claim the top spot as the largest category, with 150,112 units sold, representing 21.57% of the total market. The other top five categories, in order of ranking, include e-bikes with a derailleur (117,675 units), non-electric MTBs (88,943 units), city/trekking/cross bicycles with a derailleur (76,151 units), and road bikes (67,220 units). While the overall market performed exceptionally well, there was a slight decline in the sales of children’s bicycles, which still faced production challenges. However, the standout performer in terms of percentage growth was the e-gravel bike, which saw sales increase nearly 64 times compared to the previous year, as highlighted by Filip Rylant. Belgium has long been regarded as one of Europe’s key markets for speed pedelecs, and this niche category experienced a remarkable boost.

Bright future of ebikes in Belgium 

This sudden surge in e-bike sales in Belgium can be attributed to several factors. Firstly, there has been a growing awareness among the Belgian population regarding the benefits of e-bikes, such as their eco-friendliness and health advantages. As more people become conscious of their carbon footprint and seek alternative modes of transportation, e-bikes have emerged as a popular choice.

Secondly, the government of Belgium has implemented various initiatives to promote the use of e-bikes. They have introduced subsidies and tax incentives for purchasing e-bikes, making them more affordable and accessible to a wider range of individuals. These supportive measures have undoubtedly played a significant role in driving the exponential growth of the e-bike market.

Looking ahead, the e-bike market in Belgium is expected to continue its upward trajectory. With ongoing advancements in technology, increasing environmental consciousness, and continued government support, it is likely that e-bikes will become even more popular and widespread in the coming years, solidifying Belgium’s position as a key player in the e-bike market.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *